Karnataka Tourism Society has appealed to the Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa for a rehabilitation package for the stakeholders in the tourism, travel and hospitality sector as they have been affected by the second wave.
The Society has also submitted a memorandum to Tourism Minister Sri. C P Yogeshwar, Tourism Secretary Sri. Pankaj Kumar Pandey and Smt. Sindhu B Rupesh, Director, Tourism Department.
Below are the contents of the letter:
1. Deferment of payment of Property Tax for 2021-22: The due date for Property Tax annually payable to the Palikes, Municipal Corporations and Town Municipal Councils is extended with 5% rebated till 31st May 2021. Due to the complete halt of business, request you to kindly extend payment date till 31st October for 50% payment with 5% rebate and extend time for balance 50% till 31st March 2022 without any penalties.
2. Deferment of payment of Excise License Fee: The sudden fall in the business of Bar & Restaurants is forcing us to seek deferment. Request you to direct Excise department to renew licence with 50% payment by 30th June 2021 and balance 50% payable on or before 31st December 2021. Further, we request you to consider this for breweries in Karnataka also.
3. Exemption/Waivers in Electricity Bills: We request your good self to issue directives to Energy Department for following:
a) To waive off the demand charges from April to September 2021. b) Energy charges payable on actual consumption basis only.
4. Exemption from payment of Vehicle Quarterly Road Tax: The Tour operators, Employee Transport operators, All India Permit Buses/Mini Coach Operators, Maxi Cab Operator, State & All India Permit vehicle Operators are unable to operate vehicles due to the present crises. Hence, we appeal to give exemption from the payment of quarterly Vehicle Road Tax for 6 months from April 2021 to September 2021 to yellow board sedans, MPVs, SUV’s, Tempo travellers and Caravans.
5. Looking after un-organized employees in tourism sector:
We thank you for announcing relief package to Auto, Taxi and Maxi cab drivers. Kindly consider to extend this benefit to all drivers having badges in Karnataka.
Sir, majority of staff / workers working in Travel Agencies, Tour Companies, Transport companies, Hotels, Resorts are jobless due to lockdown, without income to support their families. Kindly request for one time direct monetary support them. Information may be collected from ESI since most of the service providers are listed and pay ESI to their staff drawing salary less than Rs.21000/- pm.
Sir, there are around 35 Guides Approved by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India and around 900 state approved guides working in various tourists destinations in Karnataka in need of help. We shall submit the list to DOT, GOK upon request for direct transfer and we sincerely request you announce relief package and oblige.
6. Financial assistance to stakeholders: Request you to direct officials to form a committee with Tourism and Finance department officials and stake holders to come out with a financial support package to stake holders in Karnataka to support employers to survive and sustain for this financial year.
Finally, we hope you would empathise with our sector / stake holders of their impending plight and consider our request and oblige. Our sector shall extend our full co-operation and support to Government in tackling this pandemic.