Thanks to the joint initiative by South Western Railways and BIAL, 2021 has brought glad tidings to Namma Bengaluru.
Commuters no longer have to spend on overpriced cab services or buses to take them to Kempegowda International Airport. For fares as low as Rs.10 or Rs.15, the newly unveiled suburban trains could take passengers from Majestic to Devanahalli station, situated at the edge of the airport boundary.
Here are some quick facts about the new train service:
- A total of five pairs of trains will run between Bangalore city and the airport halt station, adjacent to the Kempegowda International Airport.
- Two trains will operate from Majestic (KSR Bengaluru), and one train from Yelahanka, as per the recent announcement by South Western Railways officials.
- The ticket fare from Bangalore station is ₹10. If the train goes via Cantonment Station, the fare is Rs.15. A shuttle service will be provided between the station and the airport at fares as low as Rs.10.
- The Halt Station, with a 230-meter-long platform, will be connected to various parts of the Airport by a shuttle bus service, managed and operated by BIAL. The timing and frequency of the shuttle service will be synchronized with the train timings.
- The Station has a booking counter, concourse area, rest rooms with provision for passengers with reduced mobility, granite benches for seating, and drinking water facilities. Based on usage and acceptance, the facility will be upgraded over time to cater to the travel needs of the public and employees.
Here’s a glimpse of the new Halt Station bordering the airport: